3364869548_c40ab5cdbe

Ah, Proust. A landmark novelist, a brilliant thinker, a famous French guy. OK, so some of us here at the Clog may not have actually read him  – in fact, we know him as the guy Steve Carell’s character was studying in “Little Miss Sunshine” but we know he’s a big deal. So the fact that there are going to be three free lectures on Proust at 4229 Dwinelle starting Tuesday, Sept. 28 from 5-7 p.m. doesn’t really surprise us.

The first lecture is entitled “Enchantments.” This could be because of one of Proust’s quotes (translated into English, so yeah, French majors, it doesn’t truly capture the essence). “Habit is a second nature which prevents us from knowing the first, of which it has neither the cruelties nor the enchantments.”

Our little English major brains are whirring like a hamster on an exercise wheel. For the curious, the next two lectures are on the following Tuesdays. And if you’re the least bit curious about all things Proust-y, you should definitely go to this lecture in the bibliothequeToute de suite!

Image source: LWY under Creative Commons
Three Lectures on Proust [UC Berkeley Events Calendar]

Majdy Mahabir said:
May 25, 2011 at 6:32 am

It is unusual for me to discover something on the internet that is as entertaining and intriguing as what youve got here. Your page is lovely, your graphics are great, and whats more, you use source that are relevant to what you are saying. You are definitely one in a million, man!