nymph

NYMPH performs tonight in the Berkeley Art Museum.

We know it’s midterms season, but you’ve got to take a study break some time, and what better way than by taking a look at the Clog’s weekly guide on what to do over the weekend (and then,  you know, going out and doing it)?

Friday

It’s Homecoming weekend! We’re sure you’ve already heard about the many planned festivities, so shake off those anti-establishment post-protest blues and arm yourself with some school spirit for the legions of parents, siblings, and Bruin fans about to descend upon Berkeley. Or don’t, and go to Dog Night with NYMPH at the Berkeley Art Museum instead: A celebration of our furry friends (per Japanese Edo period edict) with NYMPH performing psychedelic, avant-garde music within the cavernous concrete museum as Daniel Jay projects accompanying visuals involving/related to/inspired by dogs. (Awesome? Possibly.)

If you just want to get away from it all, Two Blocks of Art will be taking over the Central Market area (and by two, they mean ten) and, unusually, black people will be dancing. No, really, we’re not being racist: “Sailing Away” is a site-specific outdoor dance performance about the “untold stories of San Francisco’s early African-American leaders” going on all weekend. It’s like a history lesson and modern dance had a baby, who happened to be black. (Awesome? Definitely.)

Saturday

Cal is playing UCLA today with the kick-off at 12:30 PM, which means tailgate parties or the 1868 Cal Avenue Fair for those without tailgates to go to (it will apparently be “the place to be on Homecoming game day,” but we are skeptical). Indie rock group Social Studies is performing at the Beehive Market; Albany’s streets will host the Albany Streets Festival (creative genius right there) with 4-square, Tai Chi, street hockey, country line dancing, a balloon toss, etc. to bring out the little kid in all of us.

Also on Saturday, Oaktoberfest (you know, Oktoberfest in Oakland — creative genius abounds!) is a self-proclaimed “family-friendly craft beer festival,” but we we suspect the 21+ crowd might have just a little bit more fun. In SF, the capstone event of Litquake is the Lit Crawl, easily the most amazing literary event of all time (think pub crawl, with literati instead of drunks, books instead of, or accompanying, alcohol, and readings instead of music).

Sunday

Something about the number 10-10 must resonate with activists and volunteers everywhere. See what we mean:

Conference 101010: Cell Phone Justice, sponsored by the Berkeley Center for New Media, explores the implications of instant connectivity for justice and crime, and it’s free with pre-registration. There’s a “Berkeley says NO to Torture” Week event organized by Revolution Books with journalists Justine Sharrock and Andy Worthington speaking.

Also, 10/10/10 is Global Work Party Day, and in celebration, Berkeley will have not only its own eco-friendly fixes but free yoga and meditation, a group bike ride, and a party/community picnic in MLK Park. In the Ferry Plaza Building in SF, the Food & Tech: A Recipe for Better Eating event asks the intriguing question, “Can technology shape the way we eat?” and features delicious food tastings and interesting speakers, including the founder of Wikipedia, Jimmy Wales.

Unrelatedly but worth mentioning, Maroon 5 is playing the Greek, and soul/jazz musician Crystal Monee Hall is doing an in-store performance at Rasputin.

Image source: mercurialn under Creative Commons