chez pThe Michelin Guide, which is a supposedly “reliable” guide of recommendations for restaurants, has taken back the one star they gave to Chez Panisse. Let us remind everyone that Chez Panisse has been considered by some as the best restaurant in America. What more do you want Michelin!! Geez.

However we’ll leave it to the more experienced palates to decide whether Michelin’s decision was a sound one. According to Berkeleyside, the criteria for getting one star is “a very good restaurant in its own category.” To be awarded two stars a restaurant needs to have “Excellent cuisine worth a detour” and the criteria for three stars is, “Exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey. One always eats extremely well here, sometimes superbly.”

Three local restaurants made the cut. They are Coi in San Francisco, Cyrus in Healdsburg and Manresa in Los Gatos.

But don’t lose faith because of one little star. The owner, Alice Waters, doesn’t seem too distressed. “Although Ms. Waters respects the traditions upon which the Michelin Guide bases its awards, she acknowledges that they aren’t the same traditions upon which Chez Panisse has built its reputation and success over the years,” commented Mia Morgenstern from the Chez Panisse foundation in an interview with Berkeleyside.

Hata’s gon’ hate Michelin. Power through Chez Panisse!

Image Source: drspam under Creative Commons
Chez Panisse loses its Michelin Star [Berkeleyside]

Northsider said:

I wonder when the first star was awarded. I’ve heard Chez Panisse used be be amazing but I’ve never been impressed.

Oliveto on college or Caesar next door are places I’d rather get better food for much less money.

Kudos to the Michelin folk for recognizing that, for the last several years, Chez Panisse has been coasting on its reputation.

Tanie walizki said:

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my website =). We could have a link exchange contract between us!