upright citizens brigade theatre

Yeah we know, we’re clever. What we meant is that tonight the Upright Citizens Brigade came to UC Berkeley’s Wheeler Auditorium. The Brigade is a group of comedians with bases in both New York and Hollywood. They do different kinds of comedy from improv to sketch and stand-up comedy. Also, they have a website, UCBcomedy.com, that features a plethora of funny videos, a message board, podcasts. Check it out, yo.

The show started at 8 p.m. and was opened by Jericho, UC Berkeley’s improv and sketch comedy group. Jericho did some improv comedy before introducing the main act. One of the students from Jericho counted to five and encouraged increasingly loud cheering from the audience as he did so to summon the Upright Citizens comedians. The cheering may have seemed preemptive considering the group had not performed yet, but it turns out they well deserved all the acclaim.

The Upright Citizens began their show by calling a volunteer, Nick (didn’t catch a last name), onto the stage. A sort of interrogation-type deal was thereafter conducted where Nick had to answer a lot of questions. Though they managed to keep nonchalant and easy demeanors, the comedians were taking serious mental notes during the questioning as the second half of their show consisted of improv acts based on the their conversation with Nick. This balancing act of hiding stress and keeping up a light appearance is inherent in the business of comedy … and also very difficult to pull off.

And they pulled it off as smooth as buttuh. The audience was digging the show until the last when they asked people to read out text messages and played out skits based on them. One text was about “Jew-cappella” so the comedians harmonized in the beginning of their sketch with “laheimmmm, laheimm, laheimmm.”

Needless to say it a great ending to a Tuesday night unless, of course, you still have loads of homework like us. Sigh.

Image Source: Marcin Wichary under Creative Commons

Lucky said:
Nov 17, 2010 at 2:40 am

I missed the show but I am definitely attending next time! Heard from friends the comedy show is great (message not sponsored by The Upright Citizens)

görüntülü sohbet said:

hey there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this site, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon..