the face of appropriate fear.

After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on Earth.

So, as it turns out, the most outrageous thing about “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” is not that Mr. Cameron has actually managed to put together a decent film in his extended joke of a career. No, what’s really crazy is that it could in fact (sort of) happen In Real Life. You know, machines taking over and all.

We found this “All Things Considered” segment on singularity — i.e. the inevitable point in time when Artificial Intelligence will reign supreme and no one will dare try to tell a robot if he can or cannot love, dammit! The subjects of the piece were members of the Singularity Institute of Artificial Intelligence, which is located in none other than downtown Berkeley, ridiculously enough.

The interview maintains a relatively healthy balance between super interesting and nerdy beyond the scope of all reason. And the bad news — that the Robocalypse is on the horizon — is tempered by the good news — that the guys over at SIAI are building an army of “good” computers to fight the “bad” ones when the latter initiate their ascent to power. Kind of like “9,” except not a horrible excuse for cinema and without Coheed and Cambria to lend a dramatic touch because they (Coheed and Cambria) will probably be dead.

Anyway. Stupid Hollywood references aside, SIAI researchers are accustomed to being taken less than seriously by the mainstream. Which is why we extra-scoffed when NPR reporter Martin Kaste wrapped up with this bit of silliness: “The institute is looking to move out of its apartments in Berkeley and buy a big old Victorian house. That way, its researchers can have a more permanent home for whatever time humanity has left.”

We can only hope it was a troll.

Image Source: rafitorres under Creative Commons
The Singularity: Humanity’s Last Invention? [NPR]
Earlier: Bodies Everywhere!

bangkok said:

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally visit my website =). We will have a link trade contract between us!