2252227546_59a660d0b2

Bad news bears for the University of California. One of its graduates, Jessica Felber, filed suit on March 4 against Berkeley, certain affiliates and the UC system in its entirety for allegedly allowing “the development of a dangerous anti-Semitic climate on its campuses.”

On March 5, 2010 (you read right: over a year ago), Felber — former co-president Tikvah, a Zionist group on campus — was involved in an incident wherein she was allegedly assaulted by Husam Zakharia, a Berkeley grad who used to be involved with Students for Justice in Palestine.

Zakharia was arrested but never actually charged in the alleged attack (which purportedly involved him “ramm[ing] her with a shopping cart filled with toys” … fair enough). In her suit, Felber claims that this and other past incidents throughout the university system, and what she cites as the UC’s tolerance thereof, have enabled a “growing cancer” of anti-Semitism across the board — and, as a result, have caused her great personal distress.

The University of California has insisted that Felber’s allegations are totally unfounded. Tell us, dear readers: do you agree?

Image Source: timbrauhn under Creative Commons
Berkeley Graduate Files Suit Against UC [Daily Cal]
Jewish student sues UC Berkeley over assault by Palestine supporter [Berkeleyside]