hubrisMembers of the major resume builder ahem, student political party Student Action declined to show up for the Daily Cal’s ASUC Candidate Forum today. It appears that since CalSERVE is not running any executive candidates, Student Action decided they had better things to do on a Friday night. They left the Daily Cal a lovely voicemail this morning saying they were passing on the forum to do some “grassroots campaigning.”

Let’s be real here, the forum is not the most serious political event there ever was. But, the ASUC also isn’t the most serious political body there ever was, what with how often its members don’t seem to know the rules of their our organization and end up suspending the bylaws as result … or allocating one program $15,000 twice by accident.

All the same, this behavior doesn’t seem quite in line with Student Action’s party line as “mak(ing) student government accountable to every student, every year.” We don’t feel they’re particularly accountable to us, although they do always look sharp in those suits. Granted, it’s always been a little bit of an illusion that ASUC elections were more than a popularity contest, but it was kind of rude of them to shatter it in one fell swoop.

It seems Student Action figured that since they were the only major party running, they assume they’re shoe-ins and didn’t need to answer any serious questions about their platforms. Instead, we’re left with just their talking points of “further develop(ing) academic resources,” “building the Cal community,” increasing outdoor study space and a “dynamic support network.”

Whether the pass on the forum was an act of cowardice, arrogance or both, it would have been good to see Student Action candidates make some attempt to appear on a level ground with the other candidates in an open forum, instead of only playing in arenas where they can do everything on their own terms. But if you’re going to be that way, Student Action, we’d be happy to discuss your platforms with you over coffee, if that’s more your style. Or beer. Although we’ll probably still think you’re tools. You know where to find us (it’s at [email protected]).

And all of this is not to say they won’t still win executive positions. After all, electing egomaniacs is sort of an American pastime and incompetence and vague promises are certainly not anything new to the ASUC. We only wish that ASUC elections were less of a sham, and that at least minimally engaging in debate were a prerequisite to getting elected.

Image Source: found_drama under Creative Commons

Aran said:

Amen. What a bunch of arrogant wannabe wonks

What a dick said:

Amen, Clog. Amen.

haha suckas said:

hmmm, seems as someone feels a little inadequate posting this. We’ll see which organization is to be taken more seriously when the dailycal is finally expelled from their rent free squatting in eshlemen hall

Guest said:

Not only has the Daily Cal continuously proven itself to be biased and lack fundamental journalistic integrity, but when their “election forum” –which is just a pathetic excuse for the editorial board to feel like they have power over the student body, when year after year their endorsements lack reason or good judgment (in endorsements for BOTH parties)–failed miserably this year, the Daily Cal just has their panties in a wedge.

For somebody who was the ASUC correspondent a few years ago, I’m ashamed of you Valerie. This only goes to further prove your lack of journalistic ability. You should at least have been around the Daily Cal long enough to understand that your flawed and biased forum has taken a fall. Obviously nobody even cared other than the parties themselves.

haha suckas said:

o btw valerie, the only thing worse than being a “tool” is spending your time watching and reporting on supposed “tools”

bloom098 said:

very good i havent read such a high quality peice of work in a long time good job. The text flows very nicely and it is very easy read and it was also fun and broght up some interesting points.bloom

Emily Sauer said:

I think one of your advertisements triggered my browser to resize, you might want to put that on your blacklist.

tv online said:

http://www.tvturn.com

new york web design said:

It’s quite difficult to discover threads like these since there is in fact not much explanation currently offered on the online about this. I would like to thank you for the time you spent to compose this article. I’ll check out from time to time planning to read your new articles.

online electronics said:

Get popular electronics…..

[...]The facts talked about inside the report are a number of the ideal readily available [...]…

Alfreda Judd said:

I rarely leave a response, however after reading through a few of the remarks on The Daily Clog » The Hubris of Student Action. I actually do have some questions for you if you do not mind. Is it just me or do a few of the remarks come across as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on other online social sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Could you post a list of every one of all your public pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

best acne face wash said:

Thinking at the time and effort u put into your site and detailed info in the post you offer!

Clifton Bradmon said:

truly great factors right here, just many thanks

Charmaine Mostella said:

In these days of austerity in addition to relative stress about having debt, many individuals balk about the idea of having a credit card in order to make purchase of merchandise or maybe pay for any occasion, preferring, instead only to rely on the particular tried as well as trusted means of making settlement – raw cash. However, if you’ve got the cash there to make the purchase in whole, then, paradoxically, that’s the best time for them to use the credit cards for several good reasons.

Forex Indicator said:

Rattling nice pattern and excellent content material, practically nothing else we need :D .

The title pretty a lot says it all.

professional web development services said:

I really appreciate this post. I�ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again

Anthony Falardeau said:

Maranatha! He is coming back!

Mal Malloy said:

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

Security Light said:

I am also writing to make you be aware of what a exceptional encounter my child developed reading through your blog. She figured out several pieces, which include what it is like to have an ideal coaching heart to have folks completely gain knowledge of various impossible things. You really exceeded our own expected results. Many thanks for delivering those powerful, trusted, edifying and easy thoughts on your topic to Julie.

Transgenic Mice said:

Together with the whole thing that seems to be developing throughout this particular subject material, all your viewpoints are generally fairly exciting. Even so, I appologize, but I do not subscribe to your entire theory, all be it exhilarating none the less. It seems to everyone that your comments are not completely justified and in actuality you are generally your self not wholly confident of your assertion. In any event I did enjoy reading through it.

Cherlyn Haider said:

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Oracle Interview Questions said:

GreatePost, I useually don’t post commnet but it force me to do that.

ray ban wayfarer 2132 said:

I have seen that today, more and more people are being attracted to cameras and the issue of photography. However, really being a photographer, you will need to first commit so much time period deciding the exact model of photographic camera to buy in addition to moving store to store just so you might buy the most inexpensive camera of the brand you have decided to decide on. But it will not end just there. You also have to contemplate whether you should purchase a digital dslr camera extended warranty. Thx for the good points I gathered from your blog site.

cheap hotels in pattaya thailand said:

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Czesław Jasiński said:

jaguarPC discount code said:

Low cost web hosting deals are generally geared towards consumers who would like a reasonable way of web host coupons having as well as operating an online site. The quantity of lower price resellers as well as deals has increased a lot more, which may create distress whilst choosing the ultimate low cost web hosting deal. Clients ought to decide the package which has every one of the necessary equipment required to fulfill planned targets.

VigRX said:

Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last few posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

Posicionamiento en buscadores said:

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

mydirtyhobby said:

I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

captcha snipper said:

Not all the net serves can provide the low cost value as well as promotional code web hosting coupon to their customers. And in most cases, individuals price tag are only available for a while interval, thus purchasing the website hosting remedy when this costs are nevertheless obtainable can be very essential for anyone any time finding a less costly answer.

Piano Benches said:

People that were clueless of how essential Double Piano Bench need to read about these and definitely you’ll discover lots of things and it is for free, this weblog is priceless.