9730353_f423df1396This story seems designed to necessitate stupid puns. We’ll spare you the jokes about greenhouses and blazing and cut to the chase: Licensed weed growers, according to a recent report, are speeding along global warming.

The study, conducted at our very own Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, took into account the substantial energy required to cultivate medical marijuana indoors –  about one percent of the nation’s overall supply and three percent of California’s — as well as the carbon dioxide produced as a result, which amounts to 17 million metric tons annually and which doesn’t even include the CO2 exhaled when people smoke.

To the untrained eye, these stats do look somewhat outrageous; and according to Evan Mills, the energy analyst who headed the study, they kind of are. The energy used by the approximately 400,000 legal growers in California, says Mill, “corresponds to the electricity use of 1 million average California homes, greenhouse-gas emissions equal to those from 1 million average cars, and energy expenditures of $3 billion a year.”

Not chill, bro. Then again, comparing the output of an entire industry to only segments of others doesn’t seem to paint the most accurate picture. We’re no scientists, but we’ll go ahead and make a wild guess that there are a number of emission sources that far outstrip marijuana in their total contributions to global warming.

Yeah, we’re a little defensive. That data was harshing our mellow.
Image Source: Madjag under Creative Commons
Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity [SF Business Times]

Dalii Kook said:

Shut up asswipe!

Lawrence Berkeley National Lab makes Weapons of Mass Destruction to kill humans, chemicals to make them sick so their brother pharama can force you to pay for their disease pills they claim will make you better, and Cal and Global Warming are a bunch of fucking liars.

Lou Kruppenbacher said:

This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

Serafina Peaslee said:

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Gustaw Kowalski said:

Ken Ieng said:

I simply wanted to construct a simple message to thank you for all the stunning steps you are showing here. My extended internet research has now been honored with excellent facts and strategies to write about with my family members. I would mention that we site visitors are really lucky to be in a useful site with so many awesome people with insightful pointers. I feel extremely blessed to have seen your entire website and look forward to really more enjoyable times reading here. Thank you again for all the details.

Shakira Ingebretsen said:

This paragraph gives clear idea in favor of the new users of blogging, that really how to do blogging and site-building.

Kredyt said:

Good blog! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your RSS feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

Valentin Mccrady said:

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something like this before. So good to seek out any person with some authentic thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this website is something that’s wanted on the internet, someone with just a little originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the internet!

glass door refrigerator freezer said:

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure nice points in features also.

pożyczka chwilówka przez internet said:

Normally I don’t read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great article.