uci eaters... ha!All they needed was one out so that we could all enjoy a ferocious battle of the UCs in this year’s College World Series!

Had UC Irvine not let a 2-1 lead slip away in the bottom of the ninth inning with one out left, Cal would have begun their magical trip to Omaha facing the “Eaters” — oh, how sad this makes us. Can you imagine how many jokes we could have made about this team’s name alone?

Instead Cal, now the only non-southern university playing in the College World Series — which undoubtedly makes us superior (kidding!… maybe) — will face the top-seeded University of Virginia “Cavaliers” (eh, their team name isn’t as fun) beginning Sunday, June 19 at 11 a.m.

ESPN will broadcast the game, so even if you can’t fly to Omaha, or don’t feel like driving 29 hours (oh yea, we checked!), you can still pretend you’re at the game from the comfort of your own home. We recommend skipping church, getting a truckload of peanuts and hot dogs, inviting some friends over and yelling at the umpires on T.V. as loud as you can. It’ll be a nice way to support your fellow Bears.

We also recommend that you don’t throw the peanut shells on your carpet; trust us, the smell is tough to get out.

Image Source: Big West Conference under Creative Commons
Bears Find Right Words to Describe Their Season [calbears.com]