30sliders_t607Two-dollars sliders. And it gets better: Patties ground from local grass-fed cows (sacrificed for the occasion) nest on beds of organic lettuce with golden tater tots and fresh coleslaw on the side. Top that off with some s’mores bars for dessert and a house-made shake (dare we compare them with Saturn’s?) and one could die happy (does it matter if it’s from a heart attack?). Phil’s Sliders opened this past Friday on Shattuck where New China Express used to be, next to the closed Comic Relief.

The restaurant is the brainchild of Hugh Groman (not Phil? we felt a tad misled until we learned Phil was his dad). While the restaurant was under construction, he left a sign in the window that read:

A Story About Phil
I was 12 years old and my parents Phil and Hadele were hosting one of their many parties; our big but never big enough formal dining room table crowded knee-to-knee with adults. I was sitting next to my dad, and sitting next to me was a foreign exchange student who had been brought to the party by one of my parents’ friends. She was maybe 21, the only other “kid” at the table besides me, and barely spoke a word of English. In fact, she was so quiet, looking down at her plate the whole time, it seemed like she was trying to disappear altogether. Midway through the meal, as she was reaching for a bread roll, she accidentally knocked over her glass of red wine onto the white tablecloth, the stain quickly spreading across the fabric. Everyone froze, except my father. Barely pausing between bites, my dad casually backhanded his own wine glass onto the table. Laughter filled the room and I could tell that the exchange student was relieved. I’ve never forgotten that moment…

We can’t tell whether the sudden flood of warm, fuzzy feelings is from the burgers or the story, and we’re not sure it really matters.

Image source: East Bay Burbs

Wawrzyniec Duda said:

I found this topic quite interesting and really enjoyed reading your website. Thanks..