The Campanile

Sather Tower has got to be one of Berkeley’s most famous landmarks — though probably only when you call it by its more colloquial name, the Campanile.

Its more than 300 feet of quintessential Berkeley-ness seem to watch over our not-so-little campus, the unrivaled vantage point offering unobstructed views of The Bay in all its glory.

This lovable tower chimes on the hour (letting us know when to scramble to the next class), entertains us with melodious tunes at lunchtime, and makes for a fantastically cheesy place to take our parents when they come to visit and want to see what the college experience is all about, here.

It’s also going to be closed. But only for a little while: the Campanile will be off limits for any and all visitors for six weeks starting in July.

The reason? (It’s actually a good one.) Construction. (O.K., the reason is better than just that.) The tower’s getting a little bit of work done in order to make the entrance more accessible to visitors in wheelchairs. Apparently, this is all part of an effort for the campus to be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which requires that wheelchair access (or availability) is made possible for all buildings on the campus.

We’re all for the new facelift the Campanile will be sporting in the coming months, we just can’t wait to get back up there when it re-opens, too.

See you on the flip side, Sather Tower!

Image Source: andykaufman under Creative Commons
Campanile renovations will cost about $40,000 [Daily Californian]

antykwariat said:

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this site.