2686623656_ef69199f88As you might have heard, California public universities have officially lost 650 million dollars this year due to state budget cuts. While we have managed to stay afloat thanks to federal funds and private donations — some of our athletes are especially grateful — UC Berkeley has had to find other ways to make more money, like accepting a huge number of out-of-state and foreign students.

According to the statistics on next year’s incoming freshmen class, around one third of them will be from outside California. Why so many out-of-state students? If you’re the glass half full type, you might be thinking, “It will provide us with a more rewarding cultural experience at Cal!”

Although we appreciate your sunny outlook on life, the school seems to want these foreigners because they pay $34,002 a year as opposed to $11,124 a year, which is what California residents pay.

But for those of us already here, this policy might prevent, or at least limit, tuition increases. So we here at the Clog would like to welcome you out-of-staters! Thanks for helping out with our budget! If we ever run into one of you around campus, lunch is on us! Being local and all, we know some good spots.

Image Source: Joe Mud under Creative Commons
UC Berkeley sees big increase in nonresident students [San Jose Mercury News]

Włodek Wieczorek said: