AH!! CARMAGEDDON

Because of “Carmageddon,” this weekend may actually be the healthiest time to take a trip to Los Angeles. According to UC Berkeley researchers, the closure of the 405 freeway may reduce the equivalent of approximately 4.7 million pounds of carbon dioxide. That would make for a perfectly clear weekend to hike the Santa Monica Mountains.

Realistically speaking, though, the carbon emissions would only be reduced that much if the estimated 500,000 cars that travel the 405 on a mid-July weekend would drive 9.9 miles less (equivalent to the area of the 405 that will be closed) or just quit driving all together.

While many are treating this closure like it’s an apocalyptic alien invasion and will probably stock up on supplies and barricade themselves in their homes all weekend, 500,000 drivers not using their cars seems highly unlikely. This in turn may cause more harm than good.

According to William Eisenstein, executive director of UC Berkeley’s Center For Resource Efficient Communities, the closure may cause an increase in carbon emission if people continue to drive using other routes that will likely take longer.

Others who have chosen not to drive will still be doing their part in destroying our hopes for good quality air, as JetBlue has reported sold-out flights from Burbank to Long Beach this weekend.

So, while Los Angeles is about 15 degrees warmer than Berkeley, you’re probably better off sticking around than dealing with the nightmare that is (pause for suspenseful music) — “Carmageddon!”

Image source: Pranav Bhatt under Creative Commons
‘Carmageddon’ Could Curb Carbon Dioxide Emissions — Or Cause Them To Climb [Huffington Post]

antykwariat said:

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We could have a link exchange agreement between us!

Deloras Mauson said:

Where is the point at this text?

Marielle Schembra said:

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Abram Ngvyen said:

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great web site.

Wacław Symanski said:

I'ma get your heart racing in my skin-tight jeans be your teenage dream tonight.......let you put your hands on me in my skin-tight? jeans be your teenage dream toight.......... i love that part of the song:') said:

What good song it is! I veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy love this song..