soccer

Well, well, well, would you take a look at soccer? Seems like this sport — which we’ve heard is … eh, somewhat popular in certain areas of the world — has finally gained some long overdue respect in America. Sure, it’s certainly not enough to earn back its rightful name of “football,” but it was just enough to get over 13 million viewers, a new Twitter record and some well deserved trending for our very own Alex Morgan.

Twitter announced that Sunday’s Women’s World Cup championship game between the U.S. and Japan has set a new record for most tweets per second. The 7,196 TPS blows away what would seemingly be more popular events like President Obama’s announcement that Bin Laden had been killed or the 2011 Super Bowl, each getting a little over 4,000 TPS.

To be fair though, most of the people watching the Super Bowl were probably way too drunk to tweet and all of these are worldwide numbers, and American football is certainly not as global as football … er, soccer.

In more important Twitter news, Golden Bear Alex Morgan was a very popular trend during Sunday’s game. After a scoreless first half, Morgan came in off the bench to give the U.S. team the lead during the 68th minute and assisted in overtime to make it 2-1.

The U.S. squad was unable to beat the resilient Japanese team but still managed to bring some respect to soccer and, more importantly, to women’s sports. We strongly believe that this respect is partly due to the raw toughness and lack of flopping on this American team. So, the guys may want to take some notes. Lots and lots of notes.

Image Source: Marit & Toomas Hinnosaar under Creative Commons
Women’s World Cup final sets new US television record [mlssoccer.com]
Women’s World Cup helps Twitter reach milestone [CNET News]
World Cup Final: USA 1, Japan, 1; Twitter Ignites For Alex Morgan [sfgate.com]