awesomeWith the seemingly unending stream of rankings that has sprung up, it’s hard to know which ones to pay attention to. We here at the Clog are happy to provide you with the quite obvious and simple answer: the ones that rate Berkeley favorably.

We’ve already ranted about the terrible injustices that have befallen us, so we’ll spare you the boredom. However, a rather promising ranking done recently by Washington Monthly has used a different approach to the traditional college ranking.

They’ve gone a little JFK on us and have based their ranking not on what “colleges can do for you,” but what “colleges [are] doing for the country.” UC Berkeley has earned third place on the list, which includes three categories: Social Mobility, Research and Service.

Social Mobility includes the number students receiving Pell grants and graduation rate. The second category, Research, includes research findings and undergraduates who go on to pursue PhDs. The final category, Service, is kind of self-explanatory.

The source article’s title is “College Rankings That Aren’t Ridiculous: Washington Monthly,” so you know this is legitimate.

Image Source: colinaut under Creative Commons

College Rankings That Aren’t Ridiculous: Washington Monthly [Huffington Post]

Laurie said:
Sep 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

Christina Kowalski, you are my fav Clogger! Love this!

Milan Moravec said:
Sep 2, 2011 at 11:18 am

UC Berkeley ranked # 70 offers pay raises to faculty while students and their parents suffer. Students suffer

“Every qualified student should get a place in the college/university system.” That’s a desirable goal for a public university. However, UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau displaces qualified Californians with $50,600 foreign and out-of-state students.

UC tuition increases exceed the national average rate of increase. The University of California Board of Regents jeopardizes Californians attending higher education by making UC the most expensive public university in the United States.

Self-serving tuition increases are used by UC President Mark Yudof to increase the pay of 80,000 eligible faculty and others. Payoffs like these point to higher operating costs and still higher tuition for Californians.

I agree that faculty in higher education and senior management, like Yudof and Birgeneau, should consider the students’ welfare and put it high on their values.

Deeds unfortunately do not bear out the students’ welfare values of senior management and the UC Board of Regents.

Korneli Ostrowski said: