Labor Day picnic

Nowadays, Labor Day is most celebrated for being that awesome three-day weekend that happens right when we need it — days after classes start. It’s the final goodbye to summer that makes just about everyone feel the need to bask in the afternoon sun and share a picnic lunch with friends. But there’s someone here on the Berkeley campus who’s got a bit of a different take on the holiday …

Robert Reich is calling for protests! He’s not talking about pulling whatever fire alarm is closest or camping out on top of the library, which means a whole lot of Berkeley students might not even consider Reich’s approach a real protest.

Luckily, the man knows a thing or two about the way these things work, and instead, the former Secretary of Labor is talking about a protest march of American workers. On his own blog, Reich writes “All told, it’s been the worst decade for American workers in a century.”  He concludes by suggesting that we “bag the picnics and parades this Labor Day. American workers should march in protest. They’re getting the worst deal they’ve had since before Labor Day was invented — and the economy is suffering as a result.”

The words alone are enough to make us abandon our macaroni salad, in favor of more noble weekend activities. What will you do, Berkeley? The Clog wants to know!

Image Source: -Snugg- under Creative Commons
This Labor Day We Need Protest Marches Rather Than Parades [Robert Reich]

emu360v1.4 said:

Someone necessarily assist to make seriously posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual publish amazing. Magnificent job!