Terry Riley gettin musical

Many of our readers will certainly become world famous innovators in their respected fields. This leaves you — the chosen ones — with the responsibility of returning to the university that helped mold you and sharing that world class success.

On Friday, Sept. 9, composer, pianist and UC Berkeley alumnus Terry Riley will be doing his “world famous innovator” duties by returning to Cal for an extremely rare performance of his works.

Riley — who earned his MA in composition at UC Berkeley — is world renowned for his involvement in minimalist music, initially an experimental genre of classical music that rose to prominence during the 1960′s. Riley’s music is highly influenced by North Indian classical music, American jazz, and experimental music that is said to be “uniquely Californian.”

As an added bonus for all the artsy folks attending, BAM/PFA advises listeners to “bring pillows or blankets so you can stretch out on the gallery floor or on BAMscape and enjoy the reverberations.”

Hmm … laying on the floor of an art gallery while soaking up some reverb produced by a legendary composer sounds like a bitchin’ Friday night to us. How about you?

The performance take place this Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Gallery B at BAM/PFA. Doors open at 5 p.m. with DJ Citizen Zain performing at 6:30 p.m. Admission is $7 for the general public but free for BAM/PFA members and Cal students.

Image Source: scott unrein under Creative Commons
[email protected]: Friday Nights at BAM/PFA: Terry Riley [site]

Sandra Oh said:

BAM! Im so there…… =P Thanks Ricardo Barton once again for, hopefully, another awesome night!

kutasy said:
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:21 pm

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this website, since I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

Bola Tangkas said:

I want to confess that this post truely opened my eyes on this issue. Since long time I have been looking for this type of info. Definitely this question must be carefully explored.

plastikiniai langai said:

hello there and thank you on your information ? I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however experience a few technical points the usage of this website, since I experienced to reload the site lots of occasions prior to I could get it to load correctly. I had been thinking about in case your web host is OK? No longer that I’m complaining, however sluggish loading circumstances times will sometimes have an effect on your placement in google and could damage your high-quality rating if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m including this RSS to my email and can glance out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

texas country bands said:

Magnificent publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t understand this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help other customers like its helped me. Good job.