St. George SpiritsIf you’re 21 and over, and looking for a break from studies, or just an evening outside Berkeley, head on down to Alameda to taste some premium Californian wines and spirits.

Formerly home to a U.S. naval base, Alameda Island and its drinking spots have a chic industrial feel and a stunning atmosphere during sunset sessions. It’s packed with delectable wineries, distilleries, breweries and of course nice eateries.

As a starting point, check out the western side of the island, where you can find Rock Wall, Rosenblum Cellars and St. George Spirits, home to the famous Hangar One Vodka.

A tasting at St. George Spirits can cost as little as $15 for a substantial offering of the company’s Single Malt Whisky, vodkas and famous absinthe (though maybe it’s safer to ask for root beer at this stage). Rosenblum Cellars run a number of edible events, including weekend BBQs and wine and chocolate sessions. Meanwhile Rock Wall offers a complimentary wine to taste each day with fair pricing for extra flights if  you want to keep testing your taste buds.

To get to Alameda from Downtown Berkeley, take BART to 12th St. Oakland and catch a $12 cab across to the island, asking to be dropped off at Rosenblum on Main Street. After tasting at Rosenblum, walk the 10 minutes to the naval base where delectable beverages from Rock Wall and St. George Spirits can be found. Cab back at the end of your tastings to 12th St. Oakland, again $12.

Remember to bring your IDs as drinking regulations are particularly strict on the island. Tweet us your images and fruitful reflections.

Image source: Will Ross, Daily Cal
Earlier: Get Your Psychic On