engineerIt’s no surprise that a guy trying to get a date with a girl in his engineering class has a whole lot of competition. “Good luck getting to the three girls in the entire auditorium,” says one student. Though females comprise a little more than half the students at UC Berkeley, only 23 percent of its College of Engineering are female, with individual programs (such as mechanical engineering) having as low as 15 percent enrollment for women.

One female student, Cassie Parkos, speaks about how hard it is to be an engineer, saying she gets whistled at, asked out and made an object of sexist jokes instead of being taken seriously. Evidently, the jokes are not just from male colleagues, but male professors as well. One instructor supposedly remarked that women in Saudi Arabia cannot drive … and probably should not, drawing attention to the few female students in the class, including Parkos. Don’t you just love supportive professors?

A new study reveals that despite possessing the same skills as their male counterparts, female engineers have less confidence in their expertise. It’s hard to imagine why, it’s not like your professor is making sexist jokes. Oh, wait. Sarcasm aside, the study found that women who started college as engineers are more likely to drop the career path than men in the same situation. Researchers attribute this to deficiency in “two types of confidence.” Women have less confidence that this is the right career for them in addition to doubting their skill level.

Parkos claims that despite the PMS and Barbie jokes, her experience has made her more determined to come out of the program successful.

End feminist rant.

Image source: Hobbes vs Boyle under Creative Commons
Female engineering majors struggle with confidence issues [Californiawatch]

Karen Rhodes said:
Nov 3, 2011 at 8:50 am

Hearing that one of our best students has been singled out because of her gender concerns us greatly. The College of Engineering does not tolerate sexist behavior. Our dean, Shankar Sastry, will be meeting with each department chair to talk about the learning environment within their departments and how to make it more inclusive. We’re also consulting with the college’s standing Committee on Broadening Particpation, which includes faculty and student representatives.

MRA: Women hate engineering because it’s too hard and they’d rather mooch off their husbands. « man boobz said:

[...] it’s not like there might be any other reasons beyond laziness and ingratitude, or anything. Share [...]

Jerrell Keane said:

What a fantastic party i have last night. Meet a ideal guy on the nightclub. Need to get advices are guys in club a ideal enough to be a life partner ?

Chelsea Scally said:

I think this is among the most significant information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The site style is ideal, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

extremeladyboys banky said:

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really know what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also consult with my website =). We can have a hyperlink trade agreement between us!