uc berkeleyIn 2010, UC Berkeley spent nearly $326,000 trying to attract students from all over the globe. The money goes towards travel costs, catering, venues and equipment rental for the events  put on overseas. Additionally, Berkeley spent $23,000 on an advertising campaign through a website called Zinch and $5,800 on a breakfast for college counselors. Hey Berkeley, can we get our name on that breakfast list?

In a time of defecits, some are saying it may be better to go the online route to recruit students via using free services such as Twitter chats and online information sessions. However, the school says face-to-face interactions are far too valuable to be eliminated. Hey, if the Clog got to travel to Switzerland or Brazil or Thailand every other weekend, we’d insist on the value of “face-to-face interaction” too.

In all seriousness, while the traveling recruiters might well be persuading international students, this doesn’t seem to be worth the cost of traveling when there are other means to contacting these students. You might not know this, but the school doesn’t actually have a whole lot of spare cash right now. Also, since when did you have to “persuade” people to apply to UC Berkeley?

Image source: theo5664 under Creative Commons
UCLA, UC Berkeley travel far and wide to diversify applicants [Neon Tommy]

adenosine3phosphate said:
Nov 12, 2011 at 10:37 am

I definitely agree that a lot has to be cut back, maybe from this program… we’re sending recriters to switzerland, brazil, and thailand, really? However, I have to say that a lot of kids from my HS didn’t want to apply to Berkeley because 1.) they thought it was too difficult to get into, and/or 2.) UCLA got all the hype and they barely even heard about Berkeley (live under a rock, much?). Therefore, I also think that recruitment is still quite important, because there are feebs out there who still don’t know of Berkeley’s greatness. Or maybe they all just come from my high school.

international said:

Looking at these costs, it seems to me that it is not much of a problem at all… when you consider that an international student pays $35000+ a year in tuition, all it takes is for 10-12 international students to be recruited, and the trips have paid for themselves. Cuts are most definitely required. this just is not one of the areas where they are needed

thai gogo boy said:

Thanks for the good writeup. It in fact was a leisure account it. Look complex to far introduced agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?