Berkeley is famous for coffee spots like Caffe Strada (voted eight-best college town coffee shop by Complex Magazine) and Café Mediterraneum (self-proclaimed creator of the cafe latte), but sometimes finding a free seat – let alone a power outlet for your laptop – in any of the old favorites can prove a challenge. If you’re looking for a change of scene, here are a few new coffee shops we’ve spotted in the past few months:

Berkeley Floor Cafe is located about a half-block from RSF on Bancroft, next door to the Tang Center. Only a few months old, the Floor has been a success mostly because of its roomy feel and great natural light, which is a refreshing change of scene from many of our go-to dim, cramped study spots. (Remember working in the top floor of Milano when the sunroof isn’t open?)
Address: 2244 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA.

Tivoli Caffe might be accused of hiding in plain sight, and as a result is usually remarkably quiet, even when people are fighting over tables at nearby Milano. This location is family-owned and operated, and as a result they’re particularly personable and warm. We love that this particular cafe is just one of a handful around to stay open until the early morning hours of the morning – according to staff, it’s now open until 2:30 a.m. “on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.” And another big plus for us chronic double-shot types? The coffee here is refreshingly strong.
Address: 2554 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, CA.

Hippie Gypsy, a new addition to Northside, was opened just a few months ago near the cross-street of Shattuck and Delaware. We love this cafe not only because of the great (fair-trade) coffee and breakfast, but the exceptional customer service and super-positive atmosphere – while we’re not regulars ourselves yet, some of our frequently-visiting friends tell us that the staff has learned them by name!
Address: 1797-A Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA.

As college students in yuppie territory, we’re already up to our necks in espressos and lattes … but we promise these new locations are worth checking out!

R.S.

Image source: Jennifer Tomaloff under Creative Commons.

Sentimancho Berkeley said:

Can I simply say what a reduction to find someone who really knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know how you can bring an issue to light and make it important. More people must read this and understand this aspect of the story. I cant believe youre not more in style since you positively have the gift.