What have I done!?

What have I done!?

We’ve all done it. Streamed endless amounts of television until our minds are pleasant puddles of mush, putting off the inevitable grade-determining work that defines college. “I’ll get it done,” we all chant to make ourselves feel better. But when we actually get down to it, it’s like the world has crashed down on our shoulders. How did all that work suddenly multiply?!

Here’s some advice on making it through that last minute writing assignment without pounding your head on your laptop in frustration:

Step one, take a deep breath. Breathing helps you live, because dead people don’t write essays.

Step two, pound out those crucial first few words and allow yourself to feel extremely proud. Never mind the fact that these words consist of your name, class, professor, date and the title “Essay 1.”

Step three, purse your lips in anticipation of a brilliant wave of insight. If such insights do not soon materialize, feel free to yell at the computer screen and blame it for not producing more A-inducing, scholarly words. That blinking cursor is really just mocking you at this point.

Step four, pound out an introductory sentence with the title of whatever book or work you’re looking at and some general claim about it. It’s better than nothing and is actually pretty useful.

Step five, wipe your brow and congratulate yourself on beating that stupid cursor at its own game.

Now we’re sorry to say it, but after this point you really are going to have to come up with some real content. But don’t worry, at least you’ve gotten the ball rolling and have something down to work off of. If you’re really stressing about an assignment or homework set, check out the Academic Service Centers in each of the residence halls, or the Student Learning Center.

We’d say in the future try and get your work done on time, but who are we kidding? As soon as a new episode of “Grey’s Anatomy” comes out, we know it’ll be “Goodbye essay, hello streaming!” And the cycle repeats.

Image source: miguelavg under Creative Commons

a1585360 said:

I’ve said that least 1585360 times. SKC was here…

Diane said:

I guess the same lessons could be applied to writing a web-site. Keep breathing and start with one sentence. Rinse. Repeat.

bags said:

Very fascinating topic , appreciate it for putting up.
bags http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/15310077